Ah, Thanksgiving. Time to shovel Aunt Erma’s “world-famous” stuffing into your face while you ponder what the heck the crumbly conglomeration is, anyway. We know it’s tough to make it through a three-hour meal with your distant relatives garbling about how millenials are ruining the country and the only glimmer of hope is The Cheeto-Man himself, so why not numb the pain with a brewski? With the thousands of egregious calories you’ve consumed with multiple trips to the buffet ol’ Erma has set up, chances are there isn’t a single millimeter of space left for that pumpkin delicacy you’ve been eyeing since the tryptophan set in. But hey, there’s always room for beer.
Pilgrim — MadTree
Commemorate the somewhat-fraught bond forged between settlers and Native Americans with this fall pale ale that boasts a cornucopia of deliciousness, including notes of cranberry and vanilla to enhance hoppiness. MadTree 2.0, 3301 Madison Road, Oakley, madtreebrewing.com.
Pepo Acer — Fibonacci Brewing
We know you didn’t get that pie, so fill the void with a local spin on a Fibonacci’s classic pumpkin porter, brewed with pumpkin and spices, then infused with a dose of Holtman’s maple bacon donut flavor. 1445 Compton Road, Mt. Healthy, fibbrew.com.
Harvest Ale — Mt. Carmel Brewing Company
Pour a pint of this ale with a perfectly balanced hops-to-malt ratio and notice its staple hazy, reddish-brown tint that mimic the magnificent colors of autumn that everyone always ogles over. Mt. Carmel Brewing Company, 4362 Mt. Carmel Tobasco Road, Mt. Carmel, mtcarmelbrewingcompany.com.
Autumn IPA — Fifty West
Fifty West cranks out a 6.3 % ABV, caramel malt-packed IPA that’s light enough to consume on a full tummy, but strong enough to make the family strife more bearable. Fifty West Brewing Company, 7668 Wooster Pike, Mariemont, fiftywestbrew.com.
Cheating the Gallows — Bad Tom Smith Brewing
A pumpkin ale brewed with sugar, spice and everything nice — with a not so nice name — including pumpkin seeds, brown sugar, maple syrup and chicory root, so you can get your fill on autumnal goodies in booze form.
More Thanksgiving Beer Events
Arnold’s Bar and Grill — Arnold’s Black Friday party rings in the 12 (actually 13) beers of Christmas and Hanukkah, too, for some hearty seasonal drinking. They have gathered some of the most rare and sought-after beers to tap. 9 p.m.-midnight Nov. 24. Free admission. 210 E. Eighth St., Downtown, facebook.com/arnoldsbar.
Here are all 13:
- Great Lakes Christmas Ale — Honey, cinnamon and ginger spices in a holiday ale. 7.5 % ABV.
- Thirsty Dog 12 Dogs of Christmas — Full of seasonal flavors, including toasted and caramel malts, honey, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. 8.5 % ABV.
- Revolution Fistmas — A holiday red ale with aromas of fresh-baked bread, caramel and stone fruit, with ginger root and orange peel. 6.1 % ABV.
- Delerium Noël — Brewed only for release around Christmas and New Year, this completes the Delerium trilogy in a beer with a warm copper color. 10 % ABV.
- Bell’s Christmas Ale — A traditional and rich Scotch ale with notes of caramel and a warm finish. 7.5 % ABV.
- Scaldis Noël — The Scaldis Noël derives much of its rounded character from the use of roast caramel malts. 12 % ABV.
- Abita Christmas Ale — A brown ale brewed with 10 types of malted barley and fermented American Ale yeast. It features pale malt as well as a combination of caramel, Munich, chocolate and roasted malts, plus a nice piney and citrus hop flavor and aroma. 5.5 % ABV.
- Dark Horse 4 Elf Ale — This dark brown winter warmer features cinnamon and clove aromas. 8.75 % ABV.
- St. Bernardus Christmas Ale — A dark colored beer with a creamy, thick head and velvety taste.10 % ABV.
- Prairie Artisan Ales Christmas Bomb! — A standard Bomb! beer with the addition of cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. 13 % ABV.
- Warped Wing Esther’s Little Secret 2017 — A winter white ale made with Esther Price Candies, featuring chocolate and vanilla cream. 8 % ABV.
- Rhinegeist Dad — A hoppy holiday red ale with some spice, citrus and caramel. 6 % ABV.
- Shmaltz Brewing Co., Chanukah Hanukkah Pass the Beer — A Hanukkah beer to pair with chocolate gelt, latkes and “the battle royale of dreidels.” 8 % ABV.
Brink Brewing Co. — Brink hosts Black Friday Brews, a collection of special limited-release porters and stouts. There will be dark beer goodies and holiday gift bags available for purchase. 1 p.m-midnight Nov. 24. Free admission. 5905 Hamilton Ave., College Hill, brinkbrewing.com.